Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Unintentionally Anti-Social...Oops!

Wednesday is our group's easy run that starts at a local trail at 6PM.  Sometimes I head straight to the group runs from the office.  It saves me from driving home to change and leave 10 minutes later and retrace part of my steps back to where we meet! The only problem is that on those days my dog Hershey ends up having a long day.  Hershey is an inside dog and I hate to make her go more than 12 hours between potty opportunities.

Today I took my gear to work and planned to head straight to the run from work.  Our meeting location is in a valley and I knew that I could have options to do a short run in the 30 minutes prior to the start.  One of my co-workers and fellow Rush Runners told me she was thinking of running to the trail from her house.  She inspired me to do the same thing...run to the trail head and then do a point-to-point run from the trail.  I didn't think about the fact that it would inadvertently make me be anti-social with the group. 

I parked at the downtown square (it is a small town square that is super cute!) and took a route that was approx. 2 1/2 miles to the trail head.  My Garmin wouldn't sync up for the first 1/2 mile which was really annoying.  About 1 mile from the trail head I heard some "Go Whitney" cheers and looked to my left to see my co-worker and her husband driving next to me.  She had gotten home too late to run to the trail! I made it to the trail right at 6 as the group was discussing routes, distances, and other such stuff.  I planned a return trip to the square that would be approx. 4 1/2 miles and would include next weekend's 5K route.  I ended up with exactly 7 miles on my Garmin so I got 7 1/2 miles in for the night. 

If I were better at iPhone self portraits, I would have shared my salty glow after the run.  My face was covered in salty deposits and the temp was only 69 degrees.  Also, I wore my SPI belt and included my iPhone and I think I should probably put it in a small baggy to protect it from sweat.  I really liked the belt and hardly noticed it.  I got home and realized how much I missed out tonight by not finishing with the group...like the random conversations that happen as we stretch after the runs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment