Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Change of Plans Tuesday

Tonight's workout plan for my friend Kyla and me was to do a brick workout by riding with the International Group and then doing a run afterwards.  As I was getting ready to leave the house, there was thunder rumbling and dark clouds forming.  It looked like the storms were to the North and we might be able to ride but these were the pop-up kind of storms.  In a span of 15 minutes, the radar went from just a few storms in the area to a line of storms to the West (the main direction of most of our rides.)  We debated for quite some time on what to do...wait out the storms or change plans.

In the end we decided to totally change our plans and go for a swim at the Fitness Center.  As we got to the gym, the rain started coming down really heavy so it was a good choice! We swam for about 45 minutes and the main focus of our workout was 100m repeats.  The interval was perfectly challenging...it stressed me out just enough but I made it and kept my splits fairly even.  The rest time went by way too fast though and  I definitely need to work on my flip turns because I am losing time when I don't do them.  We concluded with a set of 50m's where we did IM strokes for the first 25 and then crawl for the second 25, so the order was Fly/Free, Back/Free, Breast/Free and repeat.  I'm still struggling with my butterfly so I've been doing it with one arm and trying to improve my rhythm. 

Swimming faster with the interval work tonight made the workout challenging but somehow swimming feels more relaxing than either biking or running.  It was still raining some as I left the gym and I saw a huge rainbow on my way home! 

3 comments:

  1. Wow..that rainbow is beautiful! Way to go on your swim workouts! I wish I knew how to do flip turns b/c it would just make things so much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hope youre having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete