Thursday, July 22, 2010

Rogue Waves

How do you handle those fun waves that come about after boats go by when you are doing an open water swim? 

Tonight some of us met up at the lake for an open water swim at this weekend's triathlon site.  There wasn't a ton of boat traffic on the lake but of course there was at least one series of waves created from a boat wake.  Somehow I didn't actually hear the boat so the waves really surprised me.  Of course, I forgot that there are generally multiple waves.  The rest of the swim out went quite well and then we turned back for the return trip.  There was quite a bit of wind so the water was a lot choppier but it wasn't too bad. 

After our swim, we laced up our shoes and ran a portion of the run course.  The temps were so much nicer than they will likely be on race day.  We ran to the mile point on the course so ended up with two miles for the night. 

We did a second swim after the run and I encountered some sighting difficulty since the sun was in my eyes for the return trip.  Overall, the lake was great and it was just fun to goof off and have fun with friends...while getting in a good workout!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a great workout! Ugh..I hate the waves caused by boats and jet skis. I always get pounded by them and end up freaking out. I'm not sure how to deal with them, but hopefully someone will have some good input!

    ReplyDelete