Monday, November 1, 2010

Monday Brain Exchange is back!

Every week Jill at Finishing is Winning posts a question for the bloggy world to reply to.  Feel free to jump in, just include a link to Jill's blog.  The following week, her blog will list all those who chose to participate!

What do you miss most when you are in the heat of training or gearing up for a race? Do you skip late nights out? Do you give up goodies and alcohol? What is the first thing you crave when training is over?

What a good question since I'm just 3 weeks away from the Route 66 Half Marathon! I don't know that I miss out on much when I'm gearing up for a race.  This race season I've been working on losing some weight and that included a 6 week trial run of going gluten free before one of my big triathlons earlier this summer.  Giving up gluten was something that I did to reduce inflammation and try to improve my recovery with back-to-back hard workouts.  I missed some of my favorite foods during that time but overall did okay with the program. 

I don't tend to cut out foods when I'm gearing up for races.  This was an exception that I did as an experiment which I will probably try again next triathlon season.  I'm not a huge drinker any more but I don't necessarily avoid alcohol during training.  I try to not drink on the nights before long runs or races though.  I just don't sleep as well.  I also try to be choosy about my food choices before races and long runs too.

I tend to believe that we should be able to enjoy everything in moderation.  I'm still working on my finding moderation when it comes to sweets, but that is why running is a good thing for me! I hope you don't give up too much during your training. 

3 comments:

  1. My life doesn't change too much, but I definitely don't go out as late when I'm training. Too many early morning sessions to want to throw off my schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear really great things about the Route 66 race- good luck!

    ReplyDelete