Saturday, February 19, 2011

What a difference one week makes in the South!

This morning I headed out for my long run and the temps were already nearing 60 degrees out. Whoo hoo that means Spring is on the way.  Last week we had a mega snow storm on Wednesday and the snow was basically all melted by this Wednesday.  It is crazy how fast the weather can change here.

Due to the two weeks of consecutive snows, I had 2 or 3 very low mileage weeks.  This week has been all about returning to my normal mileage.  I had a rough speed workout on Monday with toes that kept falling asleep while I was running. I modified the workout slightly but was able to finish it up even with the discomfort in my feet.  My Wednesday run also had some toe pain but for the most part my pace wasn't too bad.  I was a little nervous that my toes would bug me again today for my long run.  Luckily they decided to cooperate and I was able to finish up a 10 mile long run.  I have longer second toes than my big toes so sometimes I have neuroma pain while I run. It is usually after I have worn less supportive work shoes and my feet are fatigued going into the run. Nothing to worry about, just something that I have to work through!

The weather today was perfect...slightly cloudy, not too windy, and perfect temps.  I think it helped me make it through with a faster pace because I felt like I was running much slower than I did.  It was fun to see everyone out running and walking around town.  I guess I'm not the only one who finds this nice weather motivating.

 In a moment of weakness after my run Wednesday in the glorious evening temps, I might have signed up for a 20 mile bike time trial race on Sunday.  I haven't had my bike outdoors in a few months so I'm anxious to see what kind of shape my trainer workouts have kept me in.  Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy the nicer weather while you can. It was beautiful here a few days ago and then - wham - more snow! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is a 20 mile time trial like? I know nothing about bike racing. Good luck with that!

    ReplyDelete