Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Wheels on the Trainer Go

Round and Round!

My plans for bike riding outdoors tonight fell through earlier this afternoon.  I got home from work and somehow the time got away from me and before I knew it I was getting on the trainer at 7 PM.  I put my iPod on the speaker and then jammed out while I rode the trainer.  I put the music on shuffle and let the various songs set the tempo of my workout. When a fast tempo song came up then I did sprints and when a slower country song came on I slowed things down for recovery or did simulated seated hill climbs.

Listening to music helped my hour on the trainer fly by.  My dog didn't enjoy it as much as I did and she wandered around the living room moving from one spot to the next every 10 minutes or so.  At one point, she just looked up at me with this look of "why are you singing and please stop!"

I quickly changed shoes and threw on a running shirt in order to do a brick run.  It took my Garmin a few minutes to link up with the satellite but I just enjoyed the cooler weather since it was now 8PM.  I tricked myself into running a different route because I secretly wanted to do more than a mile for my run.  I ended up with a route that had a lot of uphill to begin with initially and then had a huge downhill.  I stopped at 2 miles at the base of a big hill at the end of my street.  My street ends in a small park with lake access for fishermen.  The hill at that end of my street is brutal and I generally avoid it at all costs.  Tonight it served as my cooldown walk and it's just as much of a bugger while walking as it is while running. 

All in all a good workout and the extra time I took relaxing after work paid off since the weather was so much nicer for the run.  I also got to see all the fireflies coming out as I was finishing up my run.  There was even a deer that ran across the path when I was down by the lake which was cool too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment