Saturday, July 16, 2011

Sticking to the Plan - Sort of

This morning I woke up feeling a little sore from yesterday's swim workout.  I just didn't feel motivated to get up and moving when my alarm went off at 5:30.  I decided to go back to sleep and focus on my bike ride with the girls at 8:45.  I told myself that I would run at night to get in the 6 miles on my training plan. 

The girls and I rode for an hour and the pace was quite a bit better than normal.  The temps were only in the low 80's during our bike ride and it made a huge difference for all of us.  We did a route that we normally don't ride and it has a little less elevation change which is a nice change for us.  We saw a ton of cyclists out on the route and everyone was friendly with either a hello or a wave. We were very disappointed to see two cyclists riding without helmets.  Not cool people!

I spent the rest of the day snacking, hydrating, and watching the hourly forecast on my Weather channel iPhone app.  I determined that the last hour of daylight would be the optimum time to do my run.  I almost talked myself out of running but somehow I overcame that debate and got changed.  I ran from my house which equates to a very hilly run.  I took it slow and conquered a couple of the hills including one that was .6 mile long! I should have planned out my route ahead of time because I failed in that regard.  At the end of my street is a small park space that contains a boat ramp for a lake.  This park has a street that is around .15-.2 mile long.  I thought that I would hit the park about a mile further than I did and I just couldn't talk myself into running the up/back on the street more than once. (Side note...this is the closest section to flat land in my entire run and even it has a small bump on it!)  So in the end my run ending up being 5 miles instead of the 6 on my training plan.  I'm going to tell myself that 5 hilly miles is almost equal to 6 flat miles.  Don't you think?

I had a little lost and found issue during the run.  When I turned into the lake park I discovered that I had lost my gel flask.  I had just run down a very significant hill and decided not to run back to look for it.  I was worried that I wouldn't find it but I took my dog for a car ride and retraced my route.  Luckily I found the bottle and it was at the top of the hill approx. .75 miles from where I discovered it was missing. Now I'm relaxing on the couch with my compression socks on and a bottle of Nuun by my side. 

1 comment:

  1. RElaxing sounds good. I ran 8 this morning and am rather non motivated now. Good job on the hills.

    ReplyDelete