Sunday, August 28, 2011

A Little Indoor Rain

This afternoon I experienced a very strange sensation, indoor rain.  Well, it actually wasn't rain it was sweat dripping off me during a Hot Yoga class.  I've been experiencing some tightness in my right hamstring and glute so I decided to head to a yoga class to try to get loosened up. 

Our local yoga studio is a hot yoga studio that offers a variety of classes.  I headed to class and packed a towel to lay over my mat and a Bondi Band to help sop up the sweat that I knew would be coming.  My mat spot was near one of the portable heaters and there were times when it was a little tough.  I also packed a polar bottle of ice water and I had to stop a couple of times for a breather and sip of water.

The class today was a Flow class.

Flow-
Based on the Baron Baptiste Power Vinyasa method.
“Power Vinyasa Yoga is an ultimate experience for people who are ready to tap both their physical and spiritual power.
The practice is a combination of different traditions of yoga that combine for a dynamic mix of sweat and spirit. It will tone your body and electrify your mind. It is a flow that has many different levels which allow for beginners, intermediate and advanced students to be challenged in the same class.
The classes are taught in a heated room to help cleanse the body and warm the muscles. This flow will torch calories, tone your body, and relax your mind.” Baron Baptiste
I really enjoyed the flow between sun salutations and warrior poses.  I got a bit of a chuckle when the instructor had us move into a tripod type pose.  Her comment was that if we waited until the end of the class we would all be too tired and too sweaty for it to work.  At this point I was already dripping sweat and my knees were slipping off my arms. 

The other chuckle I had happened throughout the class.  You see I had a case of a runny nose.  All I could think of was the movie How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days.  There is a scene when Kate Hudson's character is interrupting Matthew McConaughey's guys night and gives him a kleenex because "No one likes a Mr. Sniffles!"  I was dying of the sniffles during the class and trying so hard not to be disruptive.

One of the hard things for me at hot yoga is how much sweat I generate.  I feel very self conscious of it but I know that others are also sweating.  When class finished today I was able to squeeze sweat out of my bondi band (I waited until I was outside to do it!)  The instructor brought cold towels around during Shavasana and it felt great.  Overall, hot yoga is something I should be doing more often. 

No comments:

Post a Comment