Sunday, February 12, 2012

Weekend Recap

Saturday I played hookie and skipped a morning run.  It was a super cold morning and I already had plans to run Sunday so I took advantage of the opportunity to sleep in a little.  My morning instead got started with a funeral service for a local runner who passed away this week.  Frank was a frequent attendee of the Rush Running speed workouts and was someone who inspired me to get my butt in gear at many a race.  You see Frank was in his mid-60's and he kept beating me at 5k's so one race a few years ago I finally decided to make Frank my pacer.  I just followed along behind and tried to keep up.  This would go on at other races and even during our weekly track workouts with one of us taking the lead and the other chasing depending on the day.  He always motivated me and as someone who took walk breaks he was an instant compatriot for me!

The service was very uplifting and featured an eulogy by one of his sons.  He spoke of always asking his dad for a story before bed by asking him "Tell me a story of when you were a kid."  That struck home to me because my niece Lily Cate always asks the same thing.  I struggle sometimes to come up with a story to tell her and now I know how important those memories and connections are.  It was very sad to lose a member of our Rush Running family but I'm thankful to have known such a great man who was dedicated to his family, fitness, and his passions like hiking and tennis. 

After the service, some of the Rush crew headed out for a bite to eat.  Isn't it strange that we always eat after funerals? We went to Wesner's in downtown Rogers and they only serve breakfast on Saturdays.  It was good...I especially liked the biscuit with Apple butter!

Below is my best interpretation of 80's style for a murder mystery dinner party that I went to at my friend Cathy's house that night.  It was a fun night and we all had a good time and none of us guessed who the murderer was. 
Lolita Xposure - I turned out to be an photographer/assassin who would kill with darts that I stored in the lens of my camera.


This morning I met up with Rhonda for a run.  We started at 11AM in order to let the day warm up a little and it was a great decision.  The sun was out and it was a perfect run...not too cold and not too windy.  We did an easy 6 miles that included the Crystal Bridges hill which we will be running during the Bentonville Half Marathon next month. 

This afternoon was another Sunday Funday swim with Brent, Lauren, Lori, and Kyla.  Today's agenda kicked my booty.  We did a warmup and then our first set was 6 x 125 with the final 25 being a sprint.  I ended up going on a 2:15 for the interval on this one. I did have to interrupt my first one in order to rescue a dinosaur from the deep end.  I don't know whose toy it was but the lifeguard was trying to get it out and having no luck.  The next set was supposed to be 8 x 50 of kick with some being under/overs.  I didn't have fins and decided to just swim instead and got in 450 yds while they did the kick set.  Then we finished up with 12 x 50 and we split them up as 6 x 50 with 25 stroke fast and 25 free cruise. The second set of 6 x 50 were done 25 cruise free then 25 sprint free.  These were all done on a 1 min interval which equated to about 15 sec rest between each.  I ended up with 2500 yds after warmup and cooldown were added in.  We finished up our workout with hot tub time! The best part of the workout for sure. 

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about your running friend. : ( Great story how you used him as your pacer.

    ReplyDelete