Sunday, May 13, 2012

Sunday Funday

Today there were just two of us at the pool for our regular Sunday Funday swim.  That's not surprising since it is Mother's Day after all.  I started off with my favorite warm up which is a 1000 yd ladder.  The ladder starts with a 400 yd swim, nothing special just continuous swim. 

Next is 300 yds of drills which is done 75 yds per stroke.  I usually do one armed butterfly with a 25 free in the middle since my stamina for butterfly isn't that great.  After that I move on to backstroke with a six count drill and also a drill to focus on leading with my pinky.  I don't really know the name for these drills but for the first I kick for a count of 6 and then do 3 arm strokes and return to the six count kick.  For the second, I bring my hand out of the water thumb first until it is perpendicular to the water and then I switch to pinky first as I finish the rotation and enter the water.  For breast stroke drills, there is the double kick and another where I try to cup the water as I bring my hands out of the water to start the stroke.  Again, don't know the names for these! Lastly for freestyle I have been doing this drill a lot lately which is 25yds single arm swimming and then the final 25 yds is catch up drill where I keep my hand in front until the opposite hand enters the water. 

After drills, I move onto 200yds of kick.  I usually try to do this as 4 x 50yds descending and I alternate between breaststroke and free kick. To finish off the 1000yd ladder I do a 100 yd pull. 

After finishing up the warmup, Jen and I decided on our first set.  We have different paces so we elected to do a set limit of time and see how many reps that we could get in during that time.  We selected a 5 minute time and a set of 50's with 25 backstroke fast, 25 free recover.  I managed 5 in our time limit.  Next up was a 150 pull just to have a little recovery time.  I don't know why but backstroke always burns out my legs.  Then we moved on to doing 75's...just freestyle.  I did 6 on a 1:30 interval and usually got 15 seconds rest within that interval.  We went back to 50's doing this set as breaststroke for 25 and free recover.  I did 6 of these but the last one was just all freestyle.  I finished up with 6 x 25 sprints except my sprints weren't that fast. 

All told with cooldown I got 2650 yds in for the day.  This got my total up to around 61 miles for the year which is over 41% towards my goal for the year.  I am about 5-7 miles ahead of where I should be to be on track for the goal so I'm pretty happy with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment