Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Blogtober Fest and Fall Traditions

Blogtober Fest with Arkansas Women Bloggers continues today with a chance to rediscover one of my favorite Fall Traditions.

One of the first things that came to my mind was food.  My family has some yummy foods that we only cook at certain times of the year.  One of those things is a super yummy pumpkin cookie that my mom always makes...stay tuned because I'll be sharing that recipe later this week.  There are also some really great pumpkin bars that again we only make in the fall.  But the tradition that I wanted to talk about was a tradition that I always loved in college...the care package!

My parents were really great about sending care packages to me as holidays approached and Halloween was no exception!  Almost every care package included baked treats from my stepmom called 7 Layer Bars.  They were fantastic and she always served them cut into 1 inch squares and they always came wrapped in tin foil. 

Last night I revisited this tradition because I needed some cookies to take to work for Boss's day today. 
7 Layers of Yum!

I took a few pictures along the way.  I'm sure this recipe has existed for ever and ever but here it is:

7 Layer Bars
1/2 C butter
1 1/2 C graham cracker crumbs (1 inner sleeve of the pkg)
1 C coconut flakes
1 C chocolate chips
1 C butterscotch chips
1 C chopped nuts
1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Melt butter in a 13 x 9 pan.  Press graham cracker crumbs into butter to form a crust.  Layer ingredients ending with the sweetened condensed milk.  Bake for 25 minutes.

The cookies were a hit at the office and they reminded me how much I love them! I don't remember the last time I had them...probably one of the last visits from my parents.  The care package tradition is one that I still love!

To carry it forward I participate in bloggy exchanges and have loved getting those care packages in the mail.  In fact, I'm working on a care package for a blogger now as part of a Halloween exchange.  I also am a Birchbox subscriber for the simple joy of receiving a surprise goody box every month.  I love the element of surprise and knowing that someone else has picked out something to brighten your day! 

3 comments:

  1. Love those things...they are like crack!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that sounds so good! Care packages rock. I got a care package from my aunt a couple weeks ago with her homegrown and homemade peach and pear jams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Care packages! Who doesn't love one?! You have inspired me to put one together just because.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete