Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Lesson Learned

Last night I learned a very important cycling lesson...always wear your sunglasses!

We headed out on our group ride and it was beautiful and sunny.  Towards the end of the ride though it was getting later in the evening and the shadows were starting to blend into the shade as the sun got closer to setting.  I did something that I've done many times before...I tucked my sunglasses into my jersey so that I could see better in the lower light.

One mile from the finish of our ride, I watched almost in slow motion as a bug flew into my eye (it was the size of a Japanese beetle but I don't know what the bug actually was.)  It hit right on the eye and was a pretty solid hit.  I rubbed my eye slightly and thought nothing more of it.  After we finished up the ride a couple of us headed out for dinner.  My friend looked at me and commented that I had a broken blood vessel in my eye.  I didn't believe her and had to run into the bathroom to check for myself.  Sure enough, the sight below greeted me.

This morning it was even worse.  Luckily there isn't much pain with it just a slightly swollen feeling to my eye. From my research, it seems like it will take a while for it to heal up and go away.  I did call my eye doctor and they said to come in if there is pain associated with the injury.  The doctor's team recommended a warm compress so I'll do that tonight and in the future I'll keep those sunglasses on!

1 comment:

  1. I agree. Always wear sunglasses, even as a runner. I have a pair of sunglasses that don't darken my view as much. I wear those in the summer when I'm running through dark forests. Otherwise, I've got gnats crashing into my eyeballs. Not a good thing!

    ReplyDelete